Loss of Earnings Claims

What evidence do you need for a loss of earnings claim?

If you want to make a claim for loss of earnings due to an accident then there is a certain process that needs to be followed. Depending on whether you’re an employee or self-employed, your claim will take different forms.

For employees you need to produce payslips for a set period of time (usually 3 months) prior to your accident to demonstrate your earnings. This can sometimes be complicated by the opportunities for overtime that you might have missed. In these circumstances you need to prove that overtime would have been readily available and that prior to your accident that you had a track record of doing overtime.

To calculate your loss of earnings the court will normally look at your net monthly wage for a minimum of 3 months prior to your accident, take the average, and then multiply that by your period of absence.

If you happen to be self-employed then the proceLoss of Earningsss can be a bit more complex. Ideally you will have informed your accountant about your accident and the period of time that you haven’t been able to work. For this time period it is important that you have a record of your orders, invoices and any contracts that couldn’t be completed due to your accident.

To calculate your loss of earnings as accurately as possible you should ask your accountant to provide you with detailed profit and loss accounts for at least 3 years prior to your accident so that the courts can make an informed decision about the compensation you are due.

Making a loss of earnings claim due to an accident can be a complex and confusing process so if you need any advice and support about making claims free phone 0800 002 9577, or send us a message via the contact form to the right and we will get back to you as soon as possible. Alternatively you can visit our contact us page to find the numbers of our 4 offices based across the Northwest. All our advice is free of obligation and to find out more about what Mark Reynolds Solicitors can do for you in the event of a loss of earnings, click here to reach our Employment Law page which goes into more detail of how we handle cases such as this.