A Special Guardianship Order appoints one or more individuals to become a child’s special guardian. It is intended for those children who cannot live with their birth parents and who require permanent security.
The following people can apply for a Special Guardianship Order:-
- any guardian of the child
- any individual who has a residence order
- any person with whom the child has lived for at least three years out of the last five years
- anyone with consent from the local authority if the child is in care
- anyone with the consent of all parties who have parental responsibility of the children
- a local authority foster parent with whom the child has lived for at least one year preceeding the application
Prior to making an application for a Special Guardianship Order the local authority for the child/children will need to be consulted and asked to prepare a report as to the suitability of the person wishing to make the application.
To consider your options in full our Family Law department can help guide you through the process.