Severance of Joint Tenancy

If you own property with someone else, the type of joint ownership you have will affect what happens to that property after you die.

If you co-own property as Joint Tenants then in the event of your death that property will automatically pass to the surviving joint owner, regardless of what your Will may say.

If it is your wish to pass on your share of a property to your loved ones, rather than the person you co-own the property with then it is important that you are registered as Tenants in Common.

The way you own your property can be converted from Joint Tenants to Tenants in Common by serving a Notice of Severance of the Tenancy on the co-owner and lodging this with the Land Registry.

Severing the Joint Tenancy

If you wish to leave your share of a property to someone other than the co-owner we can help by inspecting the title deeds of your property to confirm which type of joint ownership your property is registered under.

If you own the property as Joint Tenants, then we can prepare the paperwork to sever this tenancy so that you become Tenants in Common, therefore giving you the choice of who to leave your share of the property to.

Why choose Mark Reynolds Solicitors?

At Mark Reynolds Solicitors we pride ourselves on giving our clients the best possible service and we promise to help you through each stage of the process, explaining everything in as much detail as you need, using language you can understand.

For further information and advice, why not contact one of our specialist solicitors today by either filling out the contact form at the top of the page or by calling 01942 260 228.