Frequently Asked Questions About Medical Negligence

How will my Medical Negligence claim be funded?

If you are concerned about the medical treatment that you or a loved one have received, and want to know whether you have a claim which may entitle you to claim compensation please call us on 0800 002 9577 or complete our enquiry form.

There will be no charge to discuss your case with one of our medical negligence solicitors. There is no obligation to pursue a claim after discussing it with us. However, if after discussing your case with Mark Reynolds Solicitors it appears that you may have a medical negligence claim Then your case would be funded through a No Win No Fee arrangement. This means that when we win we recover our fees from the other side. We can also advise you as to insurance arrangements against being liable for the other side’s legal fees. If we were to not win your case, you would still not have to pay for our service.

How much compensation will I obtain?

The amount of compensation recovered in a medical negligence varies due to the nature of damage which has occurred through the negligent treatment. We will claim for the injury, pain and suffering you have experienced. We also claim for other financial losses due to the negligence, for example, loss of earnings, and care and assistance provided by professionals or by family and friends. This is not an exhaustive list and when dealing with your claim we will assess how the injury you have sustained has impacted on your life, and what can be done to help rectify the wrong that has been done to you.

How long will my claim take?

At Mark Reynolds Solicitors we understand that when medical negligence occurs the impact on client’s lives can be massive. Therefore, we are diligent in ensuring that our client’s cases are progressed as quickly as possible. However, due to the nature of medical negligence cases, they are very complex and it is important to establish the long-term prognosis and the impact of the medical negligence in order to obtain our client’s the maximum compensation.

How long do I have to bring a claim?

You are usually required to start a compensation claim within three years of the date of your injury or of the date when you first discovered that your injury was the result of clinical or medical negligence. It is crucial to get expert legal advice as soon as possible after the clinical/medical negligence took place. This will mean the proper steps can be taken to investigate your case fully at the earliest opportunity. As some of the evidence relies on a recollection of events, it is best to record such details as soon as possible. In special cases, the court has the discretion to allow cases to go ahead out of time. For an injury to children, proceedings have to be started before the 21st birthday. Time does not run out while a person is mentally incapable. You should visit a specialist medical negligence solicitor as soon as possible since there is a vast amount of work to be done before bringing a medical negligence case.


Medical Negligence Contacts
Organisations and specialists who can help you:

  • The GMC hears complaints about serious professional misconduct by a GP or hospital doctor. The address of the GMC is: 178 Great Portland Street, London W1N 6JE. Tel: 020 7580 7642.
  • The Health Service Ombudsman investigates, reports and makes recommendations to the government about the activities of health authorities. The Ombudsman will not investigate any complaints until the NHS complaints procedures have been exhausted except where that is unreasonable. To contact the Ombudsman, you should write to:
    • England The Health Service Commissioner for England, 11th Floor, Millbank Tower, Millbank, London SW1P 4QP. Tel: 020 7217 4051
    • Northern Ireland Parliamentary Ombudsman and Commissioner for Complaints, 33 Wellington Place, Belfast BT1 6HN. Tel: 028 9023 3821
    • Scotland The Health Service Commissioner for Scotland, 28 Thistle Street, Edinburgh EH2 1EN. Tel: 0131 2257 465
    • Wales The Health Service Commissioner for Wales, 5th Floor, Capital Tower, Greyfriars Road, Cardiff CF10 3AG. Tel: 029 2023 0785
  • The Patient’s Association is a campaigning body which is a useful source of advice and assistance for individuals who are not happy with their treatment by the NHS. Their address is: 18 Victoria Park Square, Bethnal Green, London E2 9PF. Helpline: 0845 608 4455
  • Action for Victims of Medical Accidents (AVMA) advises those who have been injured as a result of clinical treatment. Their address is: 44 High Street, Croydon, Surrey CR0 1XB. Tel: 020 8291 2793
  • National Institute for Health and Clinical Negligence is an independent organisation responsible for providing national guidance on promoting good health and preventing and treating ill health.
  • The General Dental Council is an organisation which regulates the dental profession in the UK.
  • The Nursing and Midwifery Council (UKCC) is an organisation set up by Parliament to protect the public by ensuring that nurses and midwives provide high standards of care to their patients and clients.
  • The Care Quality Commission (CQC) inspect hospitals, care homes, GPs, dentists and services in your home to ensure that the services such organisations provide are meeting national standards. Their address is: CQC National Customer Service Centre, Citygate, Gallowgate, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 4PA and their telephone is: 03000 616161